This summer, Natasha Costello and I are running a legal English summer school in Lecco, Italy June 30 · 9am – July 1 · 4:30pm CEST. This episode is all about it.
Legal English summer school in Lecco, Italy
About the summer school:
This 2-day summer school is a truly international summer school experience where lawyers and law students from around the world can study together, make international connections, develop confidence in legal English and have an experience they will never forget. In this summer school you will:
- practise introducing yourself and your work with others
- develop your presentation skills on a legal topic of your choice, with individual support
- learn contentious and non-contentious legal English vocabulary and how to accurately use legal English related to your field
- avoid typical legal English mistakes
- complete exercises including discussions, listening exercises, and role-plays both individually and in small groups
- develop your confidence in legal English
You will carry out exercises which are based on the book material from Practical English Language Skills for Lawyers: Improving Your Legal English (Routledge, 2023)
You do not need the book to participate in this workshop but participants may purchase the book if they wish to using this 20% discount code: enter EFL01 at the checkout – valid until 30 June 2023.
Who are the trainers?
Natasha Costello and Louise Kulbicki are the trainers for this summer school. Natasha and Louise are both experienced legal English teachers and are the co-authors of Practical English Language Skills for Lawyers: Improving Your Legal English (Routledge, 2023)
When does the summer school take place?
The summer school training takes place over 2 days 9:00-16:30 with a lunch break and tea and coffee breaks during the days. On the Thursday evening there will be the opportunity to meet before the event. The programme takes place as follows:
Thursday 29th June 2023 (18:30 -19:30)
- You are invited to a traditional Italian aperitivo in the picturesque town centre square in Lecco. (This is optional for those who want to meet before the summer school starts in an informal environment).
Friday 30th June 2023 (09:00-16:30): Day 1 of training
- Course introduction
- Participant introductions
- Preparing legal presentations: planning, introduction, main points
- Legal English vocabulary session 1: key contentious law vocabulary
- Individual study and support
At lunch-time participants will eat together at a local restaurant. (Optional)
Participants will be expected to conduct homework after this session.
Saturday 1st July 2023 (09:00-16:30): Day 2 of training
- Preparing legal presentations: describing slides, concluding and dealing with questions
- Legal English vocabulary session 2: key non-contentious vocabulary
- Individual study and support
- Group sessions to practise delivering your presentation and giving feedback
- Delivering your presentations
- Presenting of certificates
After this session, participants will be invited to have a short walk along the lake side and stop by an Italian gelato shop. (Optional)
Where will the workshops take place?
The summer school will be held in Lecco, a unique and ancient city situated on the right branch of the beautiful Lake Como and surrounded by the Pre-Alps Orobie mountain range. Lecco is an hour from Milan and just 40 minutes by car from Como. Lecco is a city made famous by Alessandro Manzoni, author of The Betrothed, a masterpiece of world literature and fundamental in the development of the Italian language. This is the ideal place for studying legal English and to enjoy when you are unwinding after a day of training.
If you want to combine this trip as part of a holiday there are many places to visit. Some highlights are:
- a trip to Bellagio ‘The Pearl of Lake Como’
- a cable car ride to Piani D’Erna to enjoy breath-taking views of the region
- a walk to the look out point ‘La passerella’ in Parco del Valentino and Piani Resinelli
- a day trip to Milan the fashion capital of the world
- a day trip to Bergamo Citta Alta, a beautiful historical town set on a hilltop
The training will take place at the prestigious business centre at the NH Lecco Pontevecchio. We will study in a well- equipped bright and spacious training room with multi-lingual support staff, and Wi-fi access. During training sessions tea, coffee, and biscuits will be served.
How do I get to Lecco?
Lecco is easily reachable by plane, car, or train.
The closest airports are Milan Linate, Bergamo Orio al Serio, and Milan Malpensa. A taxi to Lecco from the airports will cost about € 130 -150 from the airport.
Malpensa to Lecco
At Malpensa airport you can take the Malpensa Express train to Milan Central Station, then a train to Lecco.
Linate to Lecco
At Linate airport you can take the Linate Shuttle bus to Milan Central Station, then a train to Lecco.
Bergamo Orio al Serio
At Bergamo airport you can take a bus to Bergamo’s train station, then a train to Lecco.
There are frequent trains from Milano Centrale Station, Milano Garibaldi, and Bergamo to Lecco. The train station in Lecco is called ‘Lecco’ not ‘Lecco Maggianico’ or ‘Lecce’. Train tickets can be booked here:
A helpful website for further travel information is available here: https://lakecomostyle.com/how-to-get-to-lecco-italy
How much does the summer school cost?
The cost of the summer school is €695. This includes:
- a welcome aperitivo on Thursday 29th June (1 drink and snacks)
- all training materials for the course
- course certificate
- tea, coffee, and biscuits during breaks and training sessions
The cost does not include accommodation, travel, or breakfast, lunch, dinner costs.
How do I register?
Register and pay here on this page. Registration closes on 12th June 2023.
- A minimum of 4 participants are needed for this summer school.
- Places are limited to 10 participants.
- We recommend you have a basic level of general English to attend.
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion.
- If you have any questions click ‘contact’ below.
- If the summer school cannot run, participants will be notified about the cancellation at least 14 days prior to the course start date and refunded the course fee within 30 days of being notified.
If you have any questions send me an email or comment below.