🗒️ About this episode: “What is ‘expressio unius est exclusio alterius’? It’s not a spell from Harry Potter but it actually means ‘to specify one thing excludes the others’.” In this episode we look again at how courts interpret legislation. This time we’re looking at two specific things:
- rules of language; ejusdem generis, expressio unius est exclusio alterius and noscitur a sociis; and
- presumptions which are principles to help with interpretation
We also cover new legal vocabulary and a few Latin phrases so that you can speak like you’re Harry Potter.
🙏This podcast is free to help people around the world. Please help support me and the podcast with a donation.
- Website page
- This episode is part of the English Legal System (Module 2): Sources of Law Course.
🥇Learn legal English
- Take a legal English class or course
- Sign up for my site membership
- Buy my book: Practical English Language Skills for Lawyers
- Get italki credit for English classes
📣 Connect with me