Definition: A criminal charge is a formal accusation of a crime.
Example: My client is not guilty, you cannot prove the murder charge.
Note: Be careful, charge can have several meanings. We are looking at a ‘criminal charge’. Do not confuse it with the other types of charge:
- Jury charge: A set of instructions given to a jury by the judge in a criminal case;
- Charge: Expenses, cost or price asked for something.
- Charge: An incumbrance on land or property which secures payment of money.
- Fixed charge: A security interest or a charge on specific property by the creditor to secure repayment of money.
- Floating charge: A security interest or a charge over changing assets such as stocks by the creditor to secure repayment of money.