E43 – Legal English Grammar – The Subjunctive (Grammar)
In today’s episode we are looking at some legal English grammar – yes!!! It’s time for the subjunctive! The subjunctive is a mark of an educated speaker and it can also be very effective in persuasive legal discourse both in writing and spoken language. In this episode we find out:
● how the subjunctive is formed;
● when we use it;
● why we use it.
We also practise some exercises and I talk about using the passive voice. A helpful article I mention is by Professor Lisa Mazzie from the US University of Marquette – ‘Revisiting the Subjunctive Mood: Great for Persuasion ‘.
PodcastClick here for podcast
- PodcastClick here for podcast
- CollocationsClick here for collocations
- VocabularyClick here for vocabulary
- SpeakClick here for pronunciation
- QuizClick here for quiz
- DownloadsClick here for downloads
Podcast Pro Members get access to the transcription for this episode, which is automatically synchronised with the audio!
Sign in or become a member to unlock.